Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Speaking of romance...


Life is Short But Wide, (due out March 24) the Essence Book Club pick for March, by 77-year-old J. California Cooper is a "love affair between old people." It's narrated by a 91-year-old! Now that's something we don't see enough of!
Essence points out while these characters are mostly "Black and either poor or working class, Cooper's message is universal." Says Cooper in the same issue, "There are no Black liars and White liars. If you're a liar, you're nothing but a liar. I think in Black, but these stories apply to the human race."

5 comments:

Claudia said...

I'm definitely intrigued by a love story narrated by a 91-year-old. It's unfortunate that black authors still have to make the case for the "universal" implications of their writing. Her comment sounds like it could have come from Francis W. Harper or Alain Locke or James Baldwin or Toni Morrison or... you get the point, LOL.

Carleen Brice said...

Yes, I get your point. I've even heard someone say this site depresses them because it's more pleading the case for our humanity. I totally understand that POV!

Claudia said...

I'm certainly not depressed by this site! I love your blog! And I don't think it's pleading to say, "hey, why not give a new book a try!"

Color Online said...

Not depressing. Sobering? Maybe but also informative and entertaining. Your site provides opportunity for dialogue. That is uplifting. I've connected with folks like Claudia and Lisa Kenny here so this place rocks in my opinion.

And may I share something good with your readers?

Join us our blog community.Add us to your blog roll or other sidebar links, and we’ll enter your name in a drawing for a free book from our Prize Bucket or a $5 Amazon gift certificate.

Link Promo

I am glad you're here!

Wilhelmina said...

I don't find your site depressing in the least. You've taken a humorous, light handed approach to a real need.When the white folks on Goodreads discussed it, they were just very unhappy at being excluded from good books. You've done a great job with a delicate subject.