Tuesday, November 17, 2009

National Buy a Book by a Black Author and Give it to Somebody Not Black Month is just around the corner! Which means...it's my blogiversary!


This public service announcement brought to you by White Readers Meet Black Authors is to remind you to pick up a book by a black author while you're doing your Chrismukkwanza shopping next month. The idea behind NBABBABAAGITSNBM is that we educate our paler (or equally pale) brethren who may not be hip to great books by black authors. However, it is perfectly cool to celebrate the holiday by buying books by black writers for people of color too.

As you can see, we've got thrillers, romance, chick lit, literary, paranormal, you name it. There's something for everybody. Over the next month I'll be posting more suggestions, and asking readers to chime in. Speaking of readers....

Leave me a note in the comments about what book(s) you're giving this year and/or leave me a note that you've blogged, tweeted or Facebooked this post and you'll be entered to win a free t-shirt of your choice! Also, 10 lucky winners will get a "I black authors" button.

P.S.
If you like the music in my PSA ("Afro" by Dirk Dickson), you can download it here.

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary for this blog! One year of links, interviews, reviews, discussions and suggestions. Has anything changed? I don't know. I hear from readers asking for suggestions of books to read. Perhaps the subject of black authors and how our books are promoted gets a little more space on blogs, a little more consideration in the industry. But there is obviously more work to be done.

Want proof? Author Bernice McFadden revisits the whole will-Obama-change-publishing question, which was part of what led to the creation of this blog. And she ran a great essay titled What White Publishers Won't Print, which was sadly written by Zora Neale-Hurston in 1950. Gah!!!!!!!!!!!!

And not just with authors of color. Lots of bloggers are mad at Publisher's Weekly's for their list of the best books of 2009, which had no Uterine American writers.

But enough of that for now. Be assured: I and my fellow authors will continue to fight the good fight.

Here are interviews with two interesting authors:

So many people have tapped their foreheads and told me they have their stories "all up here." I have to say I haven't believed them. Edward P. Jones makes me think I should. (Thanks to the fab Melody Guy for the link.)

22 comments:

Bernice L. McFadden said...

That was sooo cool girl! You are awesome *grinning*

Shauna Roberts said...

I Facebooked this post.

Congratulations on one year of blogging about books here.

Anonymous said...

I facebooked this post!

Zetta said...

happy anniversary! I will be posting this on Facebook right now...and thanks for including Wish! My mother's anxiously awaiting Children of the Waters, which I've promised her for her upcoming birthday...

Shalema said...

I blogged about this post over at http://authorsincolor.blogspot.com

Tyhitia Green said...

Awesome! Love that t-shirt. Hey, I don't have Facebook yet. :-/

I always tell other folks about books, don't know that I can afford to buy any books for folks other than myself this year. Maybe next year. Love the concept and theory though.

Excellent! Happy blog anniversary. Wow.

Warren Farrell said...

Good knowledge in this book.

DeBerry and Grant said...

Happy Anniversary!! Maybe it's time for us to repost Writing White too...

Beth said...

I tweeted this, then recommended Sweethearts of Rhythm by Marilyn Nelson and The Lion and The Mouse by Jerry Pinkney. (Im a school librarian).

Congrats on your blogiversary!

Beth

Unknown said...

I haven't finished it yet, but I am going to gift Percival Everett's new novel, I Am Not Sidney Poitier. It's terrific so far. Congratulations on your one-year anniversary!

Ladysilver said...

I am gifting Children of the Waters because I can not stop talking about that book to people...

I am also thinking of gifting some AA romance to those who don't give a second glance to the Kimami line when they purchase Harlequin.

Happy Anniversary

Bernice L. McFadden said...

*singing* Happy Anniversary tooooo yoooooo! *all off key but with good intentions!*

Roy L. Pickering Jr. said...

My book recommendation is my very own literary novel, Patches of Grey - http://tinyurl.com/c4t745

Spirit and Truth said...

I just Tweeted this. Congrats on your blogversary.

I gotta have one of those T-shirts (smile).

Peace!

Farrah Rochon said...

Squeee! I saw the cover of Holiday Brides on there! I should not be so giddy, but I am. :) I Facebooked it, Carleen!

BTW, I'm finally reading Orange Mint and Honey and have laughed and cried and wanted to strangle Shay one minute and hug her the next. Loving it!

Rekaya Gibson said...

I will share with others. This will help everyone's book sells. Thanks Carlen!

Rekaya Gibson, Author
The Food Temptress
www.foodtemptress.com

Carleen Brice said...

Rekaya, I hope & pray this does boost book sales!

Jodie said...

Happy blogiversary. I'm taking part in Reading in Color's holiday secret santa and today I bought books with African American characters and Native American characters for it. Excited to see what I get.

Maxine Thompson said...

Happy Blogiversary!

I think this is such a great idea.

This is good to know since my novel, Hostage of Lies, hit the stores today,

Maxine Thompson
Literary Agent
Internet Radio Show Host
Editor
http://www.maxinethompson.com

Anonymous said...

I bought Juan Williams' "Enough", and gave it to the woman at the counter of a Dollar Tree in My neighborhood. I'm white, too.

Carleen Brice said...

Anon, Aren't you clever? Get to insult the blogger AND possibly win a t-shirt!

gracey said...

Hi, I've shared this via Facebook and twitter! Thanks.