Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day Links

I voted and I hope you have/will too. Because I haven't done a round up in a while, here are a bunch of interesting links. Maybe you can check some of them out when you need a break from politics.

Actor Michael Boatman is also an author. Didn't know that. He writes speculative fiction and has some bones to pick with those that say he should write more "black."

Doubt his critic knows about The Carl Brandon Society. Check out their contest to support the Butler (as in Octavia) Scholarship, which helps writers of colors who write, wait for it, speculative fiction.

Dawn Davis is one of the more influential women in publishing. She recently gave an interview on SheWrites about the current state of publishing. "Most of the books with multi-racial characters that have been hugely successful have been written by white women or men, The Secret Life of Bees, Little Bee, The Help. We've yet to really make those same inroads with readers with books penned by black women."

One of her authors was just featured in an article about 5 young authors you should be reading. Nick Burd author of The Vast Fields of Ordinary was a new name to me.

Miss this? A podcast of Martha Southgate, Eisa Eulen and Bridgette Davis talking writers and books.

Congrats to Heidi Durrow! Booklist named The Girl Who Fell From the Sky one of the top 10 debuts of 2010.

Who's going to see For Colored Girls....? I saw the play in college and was very moved, but so far am not real excited about the movie. I hope it's great and I hope at least half of those who go to the theater also hit up a bookstore and pick up a copy of the book.

Speaking of movies, filmmakers are raising funds to make Leaving Atlanta, based on Tayari Jones' first novel.

3 comments:

Deseree said...

Thanks for turning me on to Michael Boatman. I read and collect speculative fiction from authors of the African disapora. By the way, I just read today that Amazon has 3 African American female authors listed in their Best of 2010 Sci Fi & Fantasy Category: Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord, Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by NK Jemisin, and Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor. I remember seeing For Colored Girls when I was in HS (yep my mom took us regularly to the theater). I still have the 12" LP of the original Broadway recording. Even though I'm not a Tyler Perry fan, I will go see the movie.

Carleen Brice said...

I saw that about Amazon. I posted it on the FB page for this blog http://www.facebook.com/pages/White-Readers-Meet-Black-Authors/139080171958?ref=ts

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting about the drawing :) We're on the last day and, thanks to folks like you, we've sold many tickets. Looking for one last surge before it all ends!