Thursday, December 2, 2010

Heidi Durrow recommends books about mixed-race and black children

Heidi Durrow, author of The Girl Who Fell From the Sky, names three must-have titles for people looking for books about mixed-race and African American children for holiday gifts. Leave a comment and you could win a signed copy of Heidi's book, which explores the life of a young half-black, half-Danish girl.

Heidi says:

I'm always on the lookout for diverse books for kids. This year I have some must-buy titles for the young folks I know:

1. Amy Hodgepodge (series) by Kim Wayans & Kevin Knotts. This wonderful series about a young girl who is African-American, Japanese, Korean and white will delight young readers with the lively stories and fun illustrations by Soo Jeong.

2. Mixed: Portraits of Multiracial Kids by Kip Fulbeck. This wonderful photo book tells a tale in pictures that is worth a thousand words. Kip Fulbeck's vibrant portraits of mixed kids of every stripe and polka dot are an affirmation to kids who may not see themselves reflected anywhere but their own mirror. Best of all are the responses the kids give to describe who they are. One writes: "I like being a kid because you have a bigger mind to be different things. I don't want to be anyone else but me." The book is also an exhibit touring the country. Don't miss it if it's in a town near you!

3. Good Fortune by Noni Carter. Penned by the precocious and dynamic Noni Carter who published the book as a freshman at Harvard, Good Fortune is a great read for high schoolers. The story of a slave who yearns for and then enjoys freedom, Good Fortune is an enchanting tale. All the more so because it was written by such a talented young woman! Can't wait for more from her!

Check out a video with Ms. Carter in which she explains the inspiration for her novel.

9 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I would add "The Prince of Fenway Park" by Julianna Baggott. I love that book! It's for middle grade. Oscar is an adopted, mixed-race boy, was bullied and misunderstood at school, abandoned by his real parents, who thought his white adoptive parents, who were divorced, didn’t really want him. It really had me standing up and cheering at the end!

Shellshock said...

What are the age ranges for these titles. I have children ranging in age from 5-13 that I'm looking into titles for.

Wilhelmina said...

I have to mention the ground-breaking children's book "Black Is Brown Is Tan" by Arnold Adoff, husband of the brilliant Virginia Hamilton. This book was first published back in 1973 and its gentle, inclusive, poetic text is still lovely. Grandson #1 and I read it many, many times and I am looking forward to reading it with grandson #2. I sometimes forget that being biracial is significant to my older grandson until he picks up a book like Rick Riordan's "The Red Pyramid" and is thrilled that the protagonists are biracial like him. (In fact, he thinks he would be a good choice for the lead if they make it into a movie!)

evelyn.n.alfred said...

The House you Pass on the Way by Jacqueline Woodson is another book that has a lead character that is mixed with Black and White. I think a 7th or 8th grader could handle it.

Unknown said...

These are great books, I found this blog via Girlfriends Book Blog, and I can't wait to buy Noni Carter's book for myself and my teens.

Shannon said...

these books look great! I would love you to pick me for the copy!

avisannschild said...

I'm strongly considering buying the first of the Amy Hodgepodge books for my niece for Christmas. Thanks for the recommendations!

shereadsandreads(at)gmail(dot)com

Melissa Taylor said...

I've read about the Girl Who Fell From the Sky and can't wait to read it!

Thanks for the book suggestions.
(I also am loving Lee and Low books right now!)

Mixed Race said...

interesting list of books on mixed race people here. We're going to have to check some of them out.