Tuesday, February 24, 2009

E. Lynn Harris on labels


E. Lynn Harris appeared at the Tattered Cover here in Denver Monday eve to promote his new NY Times bestselling book Basketball Jones. One of the things he said struck me. Paraphrasing him, he said, While I'm proud of all the adjectives used to describe me, I don't want to be limited to any kind of story. I want to write whatever kind of story God puts in my heart.

Harris became famous writing about gay men on "the down low" and Basketball Jones has a gay protagonist. He said his plan is to write 2 books a year, 1 "gay" and 1 "straight."

2 comments:

Moanerplicity said...

I think he's right to want to be seen as someone who pens books that tell the stories of everyone, not simply gay men or straight couples, but the vastness of this world we inhabit. Some of his die-hard fans may be less likely to embrace his journeys to other genres, but a good writer simply writes and readers seeking quality work will follow.

Snatch JOY!

One.

Lin

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.